Quidi Vidi Pedestrian Zone Pilot Begins July 16
From noon to 10 p.m. on weekends this summer, the "inner gut" in Quidi Vidi Village will be pedestrian only. Here's what you need to know:
- Barricades will be in place blocking vehicles from Barrows Road and Stones Road from noon to 10 p.m. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday until September 5. A security person will be located at each of the barricades.
- Even though general thru-traffic will be banned, there may still be cars and trucks on the road, so pedestrians are advised to proceed with caution on the roadway.
- Residents of Barrows Road, Mapleview Place and Stones Road will be permitted access inside the closure. Residents will inform Commissionaires that they live within the area and will be given access.
- Visitors and guests to residential properties will be given access as long as the property has adequate parking. If not, those visitors will have to find alternate parking in the area.
- Local business-related traffic, including staff, will be permitted onsite to access properties and deliver goods. This would also apply to contractors working on residential and commercial properties.
- Individuals availing of the slipway for the food fishery will be permitted access to launch their boats. There is no parking available for boats and trailers; they will have to find alternate parking.
- Bicycles, scooters and skateboards are welcome, however security staff may ask individuals riding to dismount if pedestrian volumes are high.
- All bus tours and party busses will be directed to drop off and pick up passengers on Cadet Road. No access will be permitted.
- Taxis will not be permitted inside the closure unless they are dropping off a fare that has an accessibility issue. Taxi fares may be picked up or dropped off from Quidi Vidi Village Road at Barrows Road or at Cadet Road next to the Plantation access bridge. During inclement weather taxis may be permitted inside the area to pick up fares. The barricades may be removed at this time if the weather is deemed intolerable by security.
Review the map for parking spaces available near Quidi Vidi Village.
Parking zones are located on The Boulevard before the start of Quidi Vidi Village and off Cadet Road (three open-space areas).
There are 2 accessible parking spaces located at the Plantation. Visitors to the area will be given access if the spaces are available. GoBus may drop off and pick up passengers on Quidi Vidi Village Road at Barrows Road or at Cadet Road next to the Plantation access bridge. There is also one accessible parking space located on Cadet Road.
The Wharf at Quidi Vidi:
The event called “The Wharf at Quidi Vidi” with picnic tables, food vendors, and a beer tent is a private enterprise, not run by the City of St. John’s. For information on the shuttle or events and services at “The Wharf,” please speak with staff on site.
Enjoy your time during the pedestrian pilot this summer in Quidi Vidi Village. Please remember that this is a working area and a residential neighbourhood, and please be respectful of those lucky enough to call Quidi Vidi home!