- The area will be less confusing and safer to drive through
- Traffic will flow more smoothly
- Pedestrian safety will improve as vehicles travel along more clearer, predictable, paths
- Changing Duckworth Street to one-way only between Cavendish Square and Quidi Vidi Road, travel will only be permitted eastbound (toward Signal Hill)
- Changing Plymouth Road to one-way only between Quidi Vidi Road and Cavendish Square, travel will only be permitted westbound (toward downtown)
- Changing Quidi Vidi Road to one-way only between Duckworth Street and Plymouth Road, travel will only be permitted northbound (toward Quidi Vidi)
- Introducing a few traffic islands to help guide motorists through the new configuration
- Addition of a variety of signs to help inform people about the new traffic pattern
- Highlighting Cook’s Hill as a turnaround location and adding a new turnaround location at the junction of Duckworth Street and Plymouth Road
What is the purpose of these changes?
By making the changes to Duckworth Street, Plymouth Road and Quidi Vidi Road, we expect to realize several benefits:
How do you expect motorists, local residents and businesses will adjust to the change?
There will be some inconvenience to local residents and visitors as some travel routes will become a bit less direct. This will be a temporary measure to remain in place until mid-autumn. It will be removed before snow clearing operations begin for the winter season. At that time the existing conditions will be reinstated.
What are the changes to Duckworth Street, Plymouth Road and Quidi Vidi Road under this traffic pilot project?
The changes will create a new loop traffic pattern and include:
Have questions about traffic pilot projects in general?
Check out the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on the Traffic Pilot Projects page.
Will there be any changes to Temperance Street?
Temperance Street itself will not change. The Yield sign will remain at the top of the hill and two way traffic will continue to be permitted.
Because Duckworth Street will be one way eastbound only right turns will be permitted at the top of Temperance Street.